A few weeks ago, I finally finished my first fitted dress! I made it from the ‘lilou dress’ pattern from Tilly Walnes’ book ‘Love at First Stitch’. It’s a very detailed tutorial and very easy to understand, I made it in a lovely seaside print cotton from my local fabric shop. I was very lazy and only made an interfacing rather than a lining, but I’ll leave that for another time!
I learnt a very important lesson from this make, make a toile first! I can’t believe how much easier it would have been if I had just made a toile first. Instead, I had to completely take apart the entire dress and re sew it multiple times because I hadn’t realised that once you sew the side seams you can’t turn the bodice the wrong way out again, and I had to take apart the interfacing because the shoulder seams needed adjusting etc. The main fitting problem was that the bust area of the dress was far too big, and just caved in over the bust area. As the back fitted well, I couldn’t simply pull in the side seams, and when I tried to widen and lengthen the bust darts I simply got a cone bra look! In the end I pulled in the seams only from the front, though I don’t think I did it very well as you can see where the fabric has been pulled along the ribcage.
Despite my many sewing errors I think the dress has come out well, I like the yellow strip along the waist, which I made by slipstitching yellow fabric to interfacing then sewing it along the waistline. I also am in love with the fifties look of this dress, and it is a lovely, easy casual dress to wear day to day!
If you have also made this dress, please let me know how you got on and post a picture!